If you’re in the mood for Chinese food, we’ve got a tasty treat for you. This crispy chilli beef dish has got it all going on – crispy strips of beef, colourful veg and a deliciously dark and sticky sauce, all served on a bed of soft noodles with a scattering of fiery red chillies. It’s a healthy fakeaway that packs a huge flavour punch!
One thing that I really love about this crispy chilli beef recipe is that it’s super simple – you can throw the crispy chilli beef in the oven and pretty much forget about it for 30-40 mins (apart from a quick turn halfway). Once that’s ready, the stir-fry is a quick and easy one-pan wonder.
SLIMMING WORLD OFFER: Join Slimming World between 18 Oct and 7 Nov 2020 and get a FREE recipe book! Details at the bottom of this post.
The beauty of a stir-fry is that you can throw in whatever veggies you like – and leave out any that you don’t. I’m not the biggest fan of bean sprouts, but if I’ve got a bag of mangetout in the fridge, then you better believe I’ll be adding them to the pan. Frozen veg also works just as well if you don’t have any fresh to hand – making this a great store-cupboard stir-fry for those ‘can’t get to the shops’ days.
And if you fancy a full-on Chinese fakeaway feast, you’ll find a full menu of recipes on our member website, from a sesame prawn toast starter and hoisin duck pancakes, to special fried rice and a classic chicken chow mein. All slimming-friendly and packed full of flavour.
Crispy chilli beef recipe
1.5 Syns per serving
ready in 1 hour 5 minutes
What you need:
For the crispy beef
1 medium egg
2 level tbsp cornflour
1 level tsp bicarbonate of soda
500g lean beef frying steak, visible fat removed, cut into thin strips
low-calorie cooking spray
For the stir-fry
4 level tbsp brown sauce
3 tbsp dark soy sauce
2 tbsp rice vinegar
4 garlic cloves, crushed
5cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
3 tbsp orange and pineapple no-added-sugar squash diluted with 400ml water
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp tomato purée
½ tsp dried red chilli flakes
1 beef stock cube, crumbled
2 onions, thickly sliced
2 red peppers, deseeded and thickly sliced
200g carrots, cut into matchsticks
150g baby sweetcorn, halved lengthways
50g bean sprouts, rinsed
250g dried medium egg noodles
sliced red chilli, to serve
What you do:
1. Preheat your oven to 220°C/fan 200°C/gas 7.
2. Beat the egg with a fork, then stir in the cornflour and bicarbonate of soda until combined and season lightly. Toss the beef in the egg, then spread out on a large non-stick baking tray in a single layer and spray with low-calorie cooking spray.
3. Cook for 30-40 minutes, until dark and crispy, turning halfway. Reduce the oven to its lowest setting and leave the beef inside while you make the rest of the dish.
4. Make the sauce by mixing together the brown sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, ginger, squash, Worcestershire sauce, tomato purée, chilli flakes and stock cube. Set aside.
5. Spray a large, non-stick wok or frying pan with low-calorie cooking spray and place over a medium-high heat. Add the onions, peppers and carrots, and stir-fry for 7-8 minutes until starting to soften. Add the sauce and baby sweetcorn.
6. Increase the heat and simmer for 5-6 minutes, stirring often, until the sauce is reduced and syrupy, and the vegetables are just soft.
7. Add the beef to the stir-fry with the bean sprouts and bring back to a simmer. Cook the noodles according to the pack instructions, then drain. Divide the noodles and beef mixture between 4 bowls, and scatter over the chilli to serve.
Are you giving this tasty fakeaway a go this Friday (or any other day of the week)? We’d love to know what you think of our crispy chilli beef recipe. Send your food snaps in to the blog or you can share them on social using #theSlimmingWorldblog.
Join Slimming World between 18 Oct and 7 Nov 2020 and get a FREE recipe book!
Join a Slimming World group: All new and existing Slimming World members who commit to a 12-week group membership (Countdown or Countdown extension) will receive 12 weeks for the price of 10 and a FREE copy of the new Comfort Zone recipe book.
Join Slimming World Online: The FREE book offer is also available to Slimming World Online members. This includes new members who join with our Gold membership package and existing members who resubscribe for three, six or 12 months.