We’ve slashed the Syns on this late-night chip shop favourite and created a fantastic fakeaway with a twist! You’ll find a satisfying mix of chunky potato and butternut squash chips drenched in tasty onion gravy – with a sprinkling of cheese to top it off. Enjoy all of the cheesy, carby satisfaction of a plateful of cheesy chips, without the side of regret that can sometimes come with it.
Slimming World cheesy chips and gravy
3½ Syns per serving
ready in 55 mins
What you need:
1.5kg large floury potatoes, such as Maris Piper, cut into chunky chips
3 large onions, thinly sliced
2 large thyme sprigs, leaves picked
600ml hot vegetable stock
1 large butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into chunky chips
low-calorie cooking spray
1 level tsp sweetener granules
1 level tsp Dijon mustard
1 level tbsp plain flour
1 tbsp Marmite
75g reduced-fat Cheddar, coarsely grated
What you do:
1. Preheat your oven to 220°C/fan 200°C/gas 7.
2. Cook the potato chips in a saucepan of boiling water over a high heat for 10 minutes or until just tender.
3. Meanwhile, put the onions, thyme, 3 tbsp stock and some seasoning in a large, non-stick frying pan that you can cover with a lid. Cover and cook over a medium-low heat for 10 minutes or until soft, stirring once or twice.
4. Drain the potato chips well and divide between 2 large non-stick roasting tins or baking trays. Add the squash chips and season lightly, then spray with low-calorie cooking spray and toss well. Cook in the oven for 30 minutes or until brown and crispy, turning occasionally.
5. Once the chips are in the oven, uncover the onions and increase the heat to medium-high. Add the sweetener, spray with low-calorie cooking spray and cook for 10 minutes or until all the liquid has disappeared and the onions are golden brown, stirring frequently. Stir in the mustard and flour, then gradually stir in the rest of the stock and lastly the Marmite. Simmer rapidly for 8-10 minutes or until the gravy has reduced and thickened to a consistency you like. Keep hot.
6. Divide the chips between plates and spoon over the gravy. Evenly scatter with the cheese and serve hot.