A new season means a shiny new Slimming World recipe book, and Comfort Zone is packed full of soothing dishes to keep out the cold. With 60 Free or low Syn recipes including chorizo mac ’n’ cheese, fish fingers with pea mash and a chilli meatball bake, plus plenty of warming wonders to make in the slow cooker, this cookbook will help keep your winter weight loss fully fired up.
To celebrate, we’re sharing one of the mouth-watering recipes from the book – a simple but oh-so-satisfying cheesy chips and gravy. Mmm-mmmm (with cheese on top!). But first, we’ll tell you how to get your hands on your own FREE copy when you join Slimming World between 18th October and 7th November 2020:
All new and existing Slimming World members who commit to a 12-week group membership (Countdown or Countdown extension) will receive 12 weeks for the price of 10 and a FREE copy of the new Comfort Zone recipe book.
Your local Slimming World Consultant will be happy to tell you more and book your place in group.
The FREE book offer is also available to Slimming World Online members. This includes new members who join with our Gold membership package and existing members who resubscribe for three, six or 12 months.
And now for the cheesy chips… We’ve slashed the Syns on this late-night chip shop favourite and created a fantastic new fakeaway with a twist! You’ll find a satisfying mix of chunky potato and butternut squash chips drenched in tasty onion gravy – with a sprinkling of cheese to top it off. Enjoy all of the cheesy, carby satisfaction of a plateful of cheesy chips, without the side of regret.
Slimming World cheesy chips and gravy
3½ Syns per serving
ready in 55 mins
What you need:
1.5kg large floury potatoes, such as Maris Piper, cut into chunky chips
3 large onions, thinly sliced
2 large thyme sprigs, leaves picked
600ml hot vegetable stock
1 large butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into chunky chips
low-calorie cooking spray
1 level tsp sweetener granules
1 level tsp Dijon mustard
1 level tbsp plain flour
1 tbsp Marmite
75g reduced-fat Cheddar, coarsely grated
What you do:
1. Preheat your oven to 220°C/fan 200°C/gas 7.
2. Cook the potato chips in a saucepan of boiling water over a high heat for 10 minutes or until just tender.
3. Meanwhile, put the onions, thyme, 3 tbsp stock and some seasoning in a large, non-stick frying pan that you can cover with a lid. Cover and cook over a medium-low heat for 10 minutes or until soft, stirring once or twice.
4. Drain the potato chips well and divide between 2 large non-stick roasting tins or baking trays. Add the squash chips and season lightly, then spray with low-calorie cooking spray and toss well. Cook in the oven for 30 minutes or until brown and crispy, turning occasionally.
5. Once the chips are in the oven, uncover the onions and increase the heat to medium-high. Add the sweetener, spray with low-calorie cooking spray and cook for 10 minutes or until all the liquid has disappeared and the onions are golden brown, stirring frequently. Stir in the mustard and flour, then gradually stir in the rest of the stock and lastly the Marmite. Simmer rapidly for 8-10 minutes or until the gravy has reduced and thickened to a consistency you like. Keep hot.
6. Divide the chips between plates and spoon over the gravy. Evenly scatter with the cheese and serve hot.
Join us for a Christmas slimdown
Whether you’d love to slip into a smaller clothes size in time for Christmas or give your weight loss a winter surge, now’s a great time to join your local Slimming World group or Slimming World Online. Join now and collect your FREE copy of Comfort Zone – then let us know which dish you love the most.