Slimming World celebrates Race for Life fundraiser
Slimming World is proud to share that its members, Consultants and staff have raised an amazing £949,567 for Cancer Research UK (CRUK) through Race for Life 2023.
Staff at the Derbyshire-based Slimming World HQ swapped their work shoes for trainers and walking boots and trekked through local woods to mark the end of CRUK’s series of 2023 Race for Life events.
The employees, who work within a variety of departments at the company’s head office including marketing, IT, nutrition, design, and product distribution were celebrating their achievements from Race for Life as well as the company’s long-term partnership with CRUK.
Slimming World are proud sponsors of Race for Life and have encouraged Consultants, members, and staff to get involved in their local events and raise money for the charity as well as increasing their own activity levels.
Cancer Research UK’s Race for Life is an inspiring series of 3k, 5k, 10k, Pretty Muddy and Pretty Muddy Kids events which raise millions of pounds every year to help beat cancer by funding crucial research.
The Race for Life events ran from 30 April to 30 July 2023 and throughout this time, Slimming World members have been preparing for their events by sharing exercise tips, fundraising, and cheering each other on every step of the way.
The Slimming World employees marked the occasion with a walk together around the local estate, to be back in time for lunch cooked by the restaurant team at the company’s Alfreton headquarters.
Bethany Hayes, Senior Marketing Co-ordinator at Slimming World was behind the planning of the Head Office staff walk and said: “It was amazing to see so many of our team join us on our walk. The weather was glorious, but we did need our wellies following a rainy week leading to a muddy wood. It was lovely to get everyone together and explore the woodland that is on the doorstep of our Head Office.
“Lots of the team have completed a Race for Life event this year, so we made sure to celebrate their fabulous achievements by having some pictures taken with their medals.
“We’ve been supporting CRUK since 2013, and it’s a cause close to many of our colleagues’, members’ and Consultants’ hearts. Through our work with the charity, as well as fundraising, we hope to raise awareness that maintaining a healthy weight improves health, including the risk of developing some types of cancer.”
Rebecca Williamson, Partnerships Manager, Cancer Research UK’s spokesperson, said: “We are incredibly grateful to everyone at Slimming World who took part in Race for Life this year.
“Thanks to the generosity and commitment of our supporters, together, we are beating cancer. We’ve seen cancer survival rates in the UK double in the last forty years. But this can only happen with the continued support of fundraisers up and down the country.”
Slimming World was founded by Margaret Miles-Bramwell OBE in Derbyshire in 1969 and has become the UK and Ireland’s leading weight loss organisation with more people choosing to attend a Slimming World group each week than any other weight loss programme. We support hundreds of thousands of people, both in our groups and online, to lose weight and to adopt new habits to stay slim for life.
Over the years our founding principles haven’t changed:
· Our unique programme is based on a powerfully motivating support system called IMAGE (Individual Motivation and Group Experience) Therapy. Underpinned by a deep understanding of the psychology of overweight people, and incorporating the most effective sustainable behaviour change techniques, IMAGE Therapy is designed to inspire and motivate slimmers to make positive changes and to develop new, healthier habits around food and activity.
· Food Optimising is our healthy eating plan, based on the liberating concept of Free Food. We encourage our members to fill up on those foods that are naturally lower in energy density (calories per gram) and also highly satisfying while limiting foods that are highest in fat and sugar and are less satisfying, so they lose weight without ever feeling hungry or deprived and without having to weigh, measure or count everything they eat.
· Our activity support programme, Body Magic helps members to overcome any barriers around activity. Members choose when to start and they set the pace, finding activities they genuinely enjoy, until regular physical activity becomes an intrinsic part of their daily routine.
At the heart of everything we do lies our passion for treating every member with genuine care, empathy and respect.
We’re proud to work with the NHS, the Office for Health Improvement and Disparities (OHID), The Royal College of Midwives and others to help shape the future of weight management in the UK and Ireland.
For more information about Slimming World’s approach visit slimmingworld.co.uk or slimmingworld.ie
Follow Slimming World on Twitter at twitter.com/slimmingworld or become a Slimming World fan on Facebook at facebook.com/slimmingworld
For the Press Office visit our newsroom or email firstname.lastname@example.org
About Race for Life
· Race for Life, in partnership with Standard Life can be entered at raceforlife.org via the hotline on 0300 123 0770
· Race for Life raises money for Cancer Research UK that goes towards beating all 200 types of cancer affecting men, women and children
About Cancer Research UK
· Cancer Research UK is the world’s leading cancer charity dedicated to saving lives through research, influence and information.
· Cancer Research UK’s pioneering work into the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of cancer has helped save millions of lives.
· Cancer Research UK has been at the heart of the progress that has already seen survival in the UK double in the last 40 years.
· Today, 2 in 4 people survive their cancer for at least 10 years. Cancer Research UK wants to accelerate progress and see 3 in 4 people surviving their cancer by 2034.
· Cancer Research UK supports research into the prevention and treatment of cancer through the work of over 4,000 scientists, doctors and nurses.
· Together with its partners and supporters, Cancer Research UK is working towards a world where people can live longer, better lives, free from the fear of cancer.