Slimming World beef stroganoff is one of our favourite comfort foods. Simply smother tender beef strips in a creamy mushroom sauce, and you have an easy tea that tastes delicious any day of the week. That’s why we’re so excited to be sharing this beef stroganoff recipe from the May/June 2021 issue of Slimming World Magazine.
Whereas most stroganoff sauces are filled with high-fat cream, this Slimming World beef stroganoff combines beef stock, Worcestershire sauce, mustard powder and fat-free natural fromage frais to make an indulgent-tasting sauce that’s completely Free if you’re following our Food Optimising eating plan.
The great thing about stroganoff is that it goes with pretty much anything. We’ve served this Slimming World beef stroganoff with rice and broccoli, but you can also spoon it over your favourite pasta, noodles or even a big dollop of mashed potato. However you choose to serve yours, you’re guaranteed a hearty and healthy meal that ticks all the boxes.
Slimming World beef stroganoff
ready in 40 minutes
What you need:
low-calorie cooking spray
400g lean rump steaks, visible fat removed, cut into thin strips
2 onions, finely sliced
200g button mushrooms, halved
1 red pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
½ tsp mustard powder
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
200ml hot beef stock (made with ½ a stock cube)
250g dried long-grain rice
1 head of broccoli, chopped into florets, stalks chopped into bite-size pieces
450g fat-free natural fromage frais, at room temperature
half small pack fresh parsley, finely chopped, reserving some to serve
juice of 1 lemon
What you do:
1. Spray a non-stick, lidded frying pan with low-calorie cooking spray and place it over a medium-high heat. Once hot, fry the steak strips for 3 minutes on each side for medium, or 4-5 minutes for medium-well done. Transfer to a plate to rest and cover with foil, then return the pan to a medium heat.
2. Add a splash of water to get any steak juices off the base of the pan, then add the onions and mushrooms with a pinch of salt and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes or until they have some colour. Add the pepper and garlic with a splash of water, and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes or until the garlic is fragrant. Stir in the mustard powder, Worcestershire sauce and stock and bring to a gentle simmer. Half cover the pan and simmer very gently for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender.
3. Meanwhile, cook the rice according to the pack instructions. Drain, return to the pan and cover to keep warm. Boil the broccoli for 3-4 minutes, drain and keep warm.
4. Remove the frying pan from the heat and gently stir through the fromage frais, 1 spoonful at a time. Stir the steak strips and juices through the sauce with the parsley, then add the lemon juice to taste.
5. Divide the stroganoff, rice and broccoli between 4 plates. Serve hot, with the reserved parsley scattered over.
Get a FREE digital edition of Slimming World Magazine
The May/June 2021 edition of Slimming World Magazine is out now, and it’s packed with slimming-friendly recipes, like this beef stroganoff, stunning real-life success stories and strategies to help you understand your slimming danger zones. Here are a few highlights I found while I was flicking through…
- 7-day eating plan – A week of mouth-watering, easy-to-make recipes to freshen up your mealtimes, including roast beef, piri-piri chicken, mushroom stir-fry and Swedish meatballs.
- Real-life success – Woman of the Year 2021 Jenny Irons talks about how losing 17st has transformed her life.
- Stress-proof your slimming – Simple everyday strategies to help you stay on track, no matter what life throws at you.
- Cupboard love – With fuss-free makes from store-cupboard staples, a delicious dinner doesn’t have to mean a big shop.
You can pick up a copy of the new magazine from newsstands right now – and if you’re a member of a Slimming World group (currently running virtually or as a Venue + Virtual service), you can get a digital edition absolutely free! Your local Consultant will be happy to tell you how to download the new issue.
MORE ON THE BLOG:
MORE FOR MEMBERS: Slimming World members have access to over 1,500 recipes on the exclusive members’ website, including comfort food favourites.
We’d love to know what you thought of this Slimming World beef stroganoff. Let us know here or share on social using #theSlimmingWorldblog.