Slimming World Magazine wins big at PPA Awards
Slimming World Magazine has been named Consumer Magazine of the Year at the Professional Publishers’ Association Awards (PPA) 2021.
The PPA Independent Publisher Awards recognise excellence in the UK magazine industry’s dynamic independent sector. And this year Slimming World Magazine – the UK’s best-selling health and fitness magazine – took home the award for Consumer Magazine of the Year.
Editor Sara Ward said: “The magazine team have worked tirelessly to keep delivering a beautiful, motivating and inspiring magazine to members through this year’s ups and downs, with some ingenious solutions to the logistical challenges we’ve faced – not least members not being able to attend their much-loved groups where they can usually buy their magazine before it hits the newsstand. I’m so happy and proud that the team’s care and commitment to excellence has been recognised by the PPA.”
This is the ninth topflight publishing award that the magazine has won in the last seven years, including scooping Customer Magazine of the Year at the same awards in 2020.
Slimming World Magazine is produced and published by Slimming World – the UK and Ireland’s leading weight management organisation – at its Derbyshire headquarters, although for much of the last 18 months team have risen to the challenge of working remotely. The judges praised the magazine for its genuine care for the health and well-being of its audience, and fantastic response to a fast-changing situation which deepened the relationship it had with its readers.
After Slimming World’s community groups were temporarily suspended back in March 2020, its members were sent a complimentary copy of the May/June print publication, followed by digital copies of the July/August and Sept/Oct editions as part of Slimming World’s virtual service.
The print edition of Slimming World Magazine continued to be available on the newsstand. Meanwhile the team worked to ensure the magazine’s content reflected the challenges of the pandemic and provided expert advice to help slimmers stay on track with their weight loss through lockdown.
Sara said: “While it’s been a challenging couple of years for the team and magazine industry as a whole, our focus now is on the future. Following last year’s lockdowns and as people have learnt the links between obesity and more serious outcomes of Covid-19, we know that lots of people will be looking to improve their health by losing weight in 2022. So we’re gearing up to provide our readers with bags of inspiration and support for the year ahead. The Jan/Feb edition will be packed with more aspirational stories of real-life slimmers, incredible transformations and advice, and satisfying weight-loss recipes – there’s so much to look forward to.”
Launched in 1997, Slimming World Magazine features real-life success stories sourced from Slimming World members – including cover stars, a delicious food section, practical and psychology features, weight-loss advice and Slimming World’s wealth of expertise in behaviour change.
The current issue of Slimming World Magazine is available to buy on newsstands now. The magazine is sold at a discounted price for the organisation’s members at £3.45, and available to buy from their local Slimming World group.
Pic caption: L-R: Slimming World Magazine Deputy Editor Sarah Davison, Editor Sara Ward and Editorial Assistant Laura Wybrow
- Slimming World Magazine is the UK’s best-selling health and fitness magazine, produced and published by Slimming World, the UK’s most advanced weight management organisation. The editorial team is based in-house at Slimming World’s Derbyshire headquarters.
- Slimming World Magazine launched in 1997 with the aim of providing real-life inspiration for Slimming World’s thousands of members who purchased it in group. In 1999 it hit the newsstands.
- Slimming World Magazine sells on the newsstand for £3.45 and to Slimming World members in the organisation’s groups for a discounted price of £1.95, based on RRP.
- Slimming World holds groups across the UK and Republic of Ireland. Members who are unable to attend a group can get Slimming World’s unique support online.
Slimming World was founded by Margaret Miles-Bramwell OBE in Derbyshire in 1969 and has become the UK and Ireland’s leading weight loss organisation with more people choosing to attend a Slimming World group each week than any other weight loss programme. We support hundreds of thousands of people, both in our groups and online, to lose weight and to adopt new habits to stay slim for life.
Over the years our founding principles haven’t changed:
- Our unique programme is based on a powerfully motivating support system called IMAGE (Individual Motivation and Group Experience) Therapy. Underpinned by a deep understanding of the psychology of effective weight loss and incorporating the most effective sustainable behaviour change techniques, IMAGE Therapy is designed to inspire and motivate slimmers to make positive changes and to develop new, healthier habits around food and activity.
- Food Optimising is our healthy eating plan, based on the liberating concept of Free Food. We encourage our members to fill up on those foods that are naturally lower in energy density (calories per gram) and also highly satisfying while limiting foods that are highest in fat and sugar and are less satisfying, so they lose weight without ever feeling hungry or deprived and without having to weigh, measure or count everything they eat.
- Our activity programme, Body Magic, encourages members to become more active, more often in ways that they enjoy, until regular physical activity becomes an intrinsic part of daily routine.
Above all, at the heart of everything we do, lies our passion for treating every member with genuine care, empathy and respect.
We’re proud to work with the NHS, Public Health England, The Royal College of Midwives and others to help shape the future of weight management in the UK.
For more information about Slimming World’s approach visit slimmingworld.co.uk. Follow Slimming World on Twitter at www.twitter.com/slimmingworld or become a Slimming World fan on Facebook at www.facebook.com/slimmingworld