While we may have to go without Bonfire Night gatherings this year, we can still warm up at home with a big batch of smoky, spicy campfire stew. Best served with a dollop of mustard mash and your favourite vegetables, this delicious dish is just the thing for cold, dark nights.
A true Slimming World favourite, our campfire stew is really filling, packed with flavour and totally Free on the Food Optimising plan. This means that you don’t have to worry about weighing, measuring or counting when you’re making this easy winter warmer – and you can eat as much as you like, until you feel satisfied.
Campfire stew with mustard mash
ready in 45 mins
What you need:
800g potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
200g fat-free natural fromage frais
1 tsp mustard powder
8 frozen Slimming World Pork Sausages (from Iceland)
low-calorie cooking spray
400g back bacon rashers, visible fat removed, chopped
2 orange peppers, deseeded and roughly chopped
1 large onion, thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
1 tsp smoked paprika
2 x 415g cans baked beans
6 tbsp tomato purée
your favourite vegetables, to serve
chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, to serve
What you do:
1. To make the mash, boil the potatoes for 15-20 minutes, or until soft. After draining, return the potatoes to the pan and mash with the fromage frais until smooth. Mix the mustard powder with 3 tbsp water and stir into the mash with a little salt and pepper. Keep warm until needed.
2. While the potatoes are boiling, grill the sausages according to the pack instructions.
3. Spray a large, ovenproof dish with low-calorie cooking spray and place over a high heat. Add the bacon, peppers and onions, then stir-fry for 5-6 minutes (or until the bacon is lightly browned and the veg has started to soften).
4. Add the garlic and chilli, together with the smoked paprika, and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes. Stir in the baked beans and tomato purée, then bring to the boil.
5. Turn down the heat to medium-low, then slice each sausage into 3 pieces and add to the dish. Simmer the campfire stew gently for 6-8 minutes, then season to taste. Serve the stew with a dollop of mash and your favourite vegetables (green beans work really well) – and enjoy!
And there you go – in just five easy steps you’ve got a comforting casserole ready to go. This campfire stew is the perfect dinner for cold, drizzly days, and once you’ve tried it, it’s guaranteed a regular spot on your weekly menu.
Campfire stew tips:
The key to keeping this campfire stew Free is to use Slimming World sausages (they’re Syn free) and to trim the visible fat from your bacon rashers, so they’re as lean as possible.
Replacing the sausages and bacon with vegetarian sausages will make this dish suitable for vegetarians. Members can quickly check the Syn values of their favourite sausages using the online food search tool or the Slimming World barcode scanner.
FREE book offer when you join Slimming World before 7th November 2020:
All new and existing Slimming World members who commit to a 12-week group membership (Countdown or Countdown extension) will receive 12 weeks for the price of 10 and a FREE copy of the new Comfort Zone recipe book.
The FREE book offer is also available to new Slimming World Online members who join with our Gold membership package and existing members who resubscribe for three, six or 12 months.