Steak and chips is one of those classic food combos that always hits the spot, and we’ve taken this version to the next level. With beef slow-cooked in Guinness until it’s beautifully soft and tender, crispy chips and a fresh and fruity slaw, this dish definitely ticks the delicious dinner box.
The beauty of the Slimming World Food Optimising plan is that it gives you the freedom to enjoy all your favourite meals, while guaranteeing great weight loss results. So you can say a big, juicy ‘yes’ to steak and chips whenever you fancy it!
MORE FOR MEMBERS: If you’re looking for more Irish-inspired recipes, you’ll find recipes for Irish stew and dumplings and Irish coffee and chocolate pots on the member-exclusive website.
Guinness-braised steak video
Guinness-braised steak recipe
1 Syn per serving
ready in 4 hours 20 mins
What you need:
low-calorie cooking spray
6 lean beef stewing steaks, visible fat removed
1 onion, chopped
2 beef stock cubes, crumbled
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
3 sprigs fresh thyme
6 carrots, cut into chunks
150g savoy cabbage, shredded
2 green apples, cored and cut into matchsticks
3 spring onions, sliced
bunch fresh chives, snipped
1 level tsp creamed hot horseradish
2 tbsp fat-free vinaigrette
juice of 1 lemon
small handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
What you do:
1. Preheat your oven to 180° C/fan 160° C/gas 4. Spray a large non-stick frying pan with low-calorie cooking spray and put it over a high heat. Brown the steaks on both sides in batches, then lay them in a deep baking dish to fit snugly.
2. Add the chopped onion and a mug of water to the frying pan and cook until the onions are soft. Add 300ml water, the Guinness, stock cubes, Worcestershire sauce and thyme. Bring to the boil, then pour this stock over the steaks and cover the dish tightly with a double layer of foil. Bake for 2 hours.
3. Remove the steaks from the oven and stir in the carrots. Re-cover, return to the oven and cook for a further 1-2 hours, or until everything is tender.
4. Meanwhile, make the slaw. Put the cabbage, apples, spring onions and chives in a bowl. Whisk together the horseradish, vinaigrette and lemon juice and stir it through the slaw.
5. Discard the thyme sprigs from the braised steak and scatter over the parsley. Divide the steak and slaw between 6 plates and serve with Slimming World chips.