Bring on 50
49-year-old nurse Natasha Mold from Thetford, Norfolk is looking forward to a slim sixth decade after losing a sensational 6st*.
"It wasn’t until I lost weight that I started to appreciate quite how much being a size 22 had affected my life as a mother, a wife, and as a nurse. I put on weight during both my pregnancies, and although I managed to lose some for my wedding in 2004, after that I just seemed to get bigger and bigger. I’d get breathless playing with my children and I felt lethargic all the time. I also found it difficult getting into small spaces – very inconvenient for a senior staff nurse manoeuvring around the busy bedside of a critically ill patient.
Slimming World came into my life at the ideal moment. I was starting to worry a lot about my health when I saw an advert for a new group that was starting up. It was in the right place, at the right time, and try as I might, I couldn’t find any excuse not to go!
"Although I was nervous when I walked in, my Consultant Maxine quickly swept that away and has guided me on every step of my journey. Now, instead of cooking with jars and packets, I make tasty chilli con carne from scratch, or pulled pork with home-made potato wedges. I’ve made great friends, too, and I look forward to spending time with my fantastic group each week.
"For me, the best thing about Food Optimising is the choice – I love that nothing’s off limit. When I’m eating out, I’ll ask for a jacket potato instead of chips, and skip the butter and creamy sauces. I know that I can have fun and stay on plan, which means I can eat this well forever!
"I reached my target in June 2014, and with lots of support, I’ve maintained my slim figure ever since. It’s not always easy, and if I’m ever struggling, I take myself to a clothes shop, look at all the lovely styles I can buy now and remind myself how far I’ve come. It’s so liberating to no longer feel self-conscious about my size. I can walk into town without worrying I’m getting in people’s way and browse around shops without fear of knocking something over. There’s no going back. This is the fitter, healthier, happier me – and it’s the way I’m going to stay!"
My get-slim scrapbook
Natasha lets us in on the highs and lows of her slimming journey, and the tips and treats that make life at target so good.
- My favourite tipple? I like the occasional glass of sherry at 3½ Syns for 50ml. Cheers!
- Receiving my Diamond Member award from my Consultant Maxine was amazing. She’s supported me every step of the way and is helping me stay at target, too. I’m incredibly grateful.
- My wonderful family has been supportive right from the very start. As I cook for all of us, my kids are now more aware of what they eat and making healthier choices. They’re so proud of their confident new mum.
- I took part in a Parkrun with my kids and got hooked! I ran in a 5K race earlier this year and enjoyed every minute. I love knowing I’ll be fit at 50.
- Over a year at target and the LBD I bought last Christmas is too big – it must be all that Body Magic!
*Weight loss will vary due to your individual circumstances and how much weight you have to lose
Find your nearest group