This pretty pasta dish makes full use of asparagus, with the thick ends used to make a delicious sauce.
- 500g asparagus spears, trimmed
- 500g dried tagliatelle pasta (see tip)
- 400g mushrooms, sliced if large
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 roasted red peppers in brine from a jar, drained and sliced
- Cut off the asparagus tips and set aside. Roughly chop the stalks and cook in a saucepan of boiling water over a high heat for 6 minutes or until tender. Remove with a slotted spoon and put in a food processor with 150ml of the cooking liquid. Purée, season to taste and keep warm.
- Top up the pan with boiling water and cook the pasta according to the pack instructions, adding the asparagus tips 3 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
- Meanwhile, spray a large non-stick frying pan with low-calorie cooking spray and place over a high heat. Add the mushrooms and fry for 3 minutes then reduce the heat to low, add the garlic and fry for a further 1 minute.
- Drain the pasta and asparagus tips and return to the pan. Stir in the peppers, mushrooms and asparagus sauce and serve in shallow bowls.
Tip: Spaghetti or linguine will also be great in this recipe if you can’t get tagliatelle.