Tuck into traditional British tucker with a generous helping of beef stew – perfect comfort food for chilly evenings!
- 12 shallots
- Low calorie cooking spray
- 2 carrots
- 380g braising steak, all visible fat removed
- 1 level tbsp tomato purée
- 1 bouquet garni
- 170g closed cap mushrooms
- 2 level tsp onion gravy granules
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly chopped parsley, to garnish
- Peel the shallots. Heat a large pan sprayed with low calorie cooking spray, add the shallots and fry for 5 minutes until browned. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Slice the carrots, place in the pan with the steak, tomato purée, bouquet garni and 800ml pints water. Cover and simmer for 1½ hours.
- Halve the mushrooms, add to the pan with the shallots and simmer for a further 20 minutes. Sprinkle over the gravy granules and stir until thickened. Season to taste, sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Tip: If you can't find shallots, you can use 2 onions, peeled and sliced.