A chunky minced beef ragu with tomatoes, mushrooms and a delicious blend of Italian-style flavours
- Low calorie cooking spray
- 500g lean beef mince (5% fat or less)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 150g closed-cup mushrooms, sliced
- 3 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 175g cherry tomatoes
- 4 tbsp tomato puree
- 11/2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 heaped tsp dried oregano
- Large handful of finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 beef stock cube
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Spray a deep non-stick frying pan with low calorie cooking spray and place over a medium heat. Add the beef and fry for 8-10 minutes or until browned, stirring often. Drain off any fat in the pan, transfer the beef to a bowl and keep warm.
- Spray the pan with a little more low calorie cooking spray and add the onion, carrot, celery and mushrooms. Fry for 10 minutes, adding a little water if the vegetables start to stick.
- Add 400ml of water and all the remaining ingredients apart from the seasoning, stir well and bring just to the boil. Stir in the beef and simmer for 20 minutes or until thickened.
- Season to taste and serve with spaghetti and a green salad.
Tip: If you're enjoying Extra Easy SP, swap the spaghetti for Speed Free Foods.