Mashed potato mixed with finely diced vegetables, topped with grated Cheddar cheese then baked in the oven - a simple yet satisfying dish.
- 600g potatoes (Desirée or Maris Piper), peeled and roughly chopped
- 200g carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 100g green beans, trimmed and finely diced
- Low calorie cooking spray
- 3 large onions, peeled and finely diced
- 3 large eggs
- 4 tsp dried parsley
- 200g fat free cottage cheese with onions and chives
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 120g Cheddar cheese, grated
- Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, to garnish
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan with enough cold water to cover well. Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer gently until tender when pierced with a skewer, about 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile boil the carrots and green beans in a large saucepan of lightly salted boiling water for 3-4 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Spray a large non-stick frying pan with low calorie cooking spray and place over a medium-high heat. Add the onions and stir-fry for 10-12 minutes or until softened.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°F/Gas 6. Spray a medium-sized pie dish with low calorie cooking spray.
- Drain the potatoes and mash until smooth, using a potato ricer if you have one.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, dried parsley and cottage cheese. Add to the potatoes, stir to mix well and season to taste. Add the reserved vegetables and onion mixture to the potatoes and stir well again.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared dish and spread evenly. Sprinkle over the cheese and bake for about 35-45 minutes until golden. Sprinkle with the chopped parsley and serve immediately.
Tip: Make this into four individual pies and reduce the cooking time by 10 minutes.