Hearty minced beef with onions, carrots and celery topped with tasty mashed potato, carrot and parsnip
- Low calorie cooking spray
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 500g lean beef mince (5% fat or less)
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 2 beef stock cubes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the topping
- 4 large carrots (about 450g) peeled and finely chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 medium parsnips, finely chopped
- Spray a large saucepan with low calorie cooking spray and fry the onion, carrot and celery over a medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the beef and cook for a further 5 minutes until browned. Stir in 350ml water and the remaining filling ingredients. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes or until thickened.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Remove the bay leaves and season to taste.
- While the filling is cooking bring the topping vegetables to the boil in a pan of lightly salted water then simmer over a low heat for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain, mash and season.
- Tip the filling into an ovenproof dish, top with the mash and cook in the oven for 20 minutes.