This versatile veggie quiche with a twist is perfect for informal entertaining or family dinners.
- Low calorie cooking spray
- 4 onions, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 large courgettes, thinly sliced
- 300g bottle roasted peppers in brine/vinegar, drained and finely chopped
- 12 large eggs
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 4 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 160g reduced fat vegetarian Cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C Fan/Gas 4.
- Spray a large frying pan with low calorie cooking spray and sauté the onions over a medium-low heat for around 15 minutes until lightly browned. Transfer to a wide bowl and set aside.
- Wipe the frying pan with kitchen paper and re-spray with low calorie cooking spray. Place over a medium heat, add the courgette and stir-fry for around 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from the heat and add to the onions along with the roasted red peppers.
- Beat the eggs with the garlic, tomato purée, dried herbs and three quarters of the cheese. Season well.
- Lightly spray a round, ceramic deep pie dish (about 30cm across) with low calorie cooking spray.
- Put the onions, courgettes and red peppers in the prepared dish and pour over the egg mixture. Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes until almost set.
- Sprinkle over the remaining cheese and return to the oven for another 15 minutes or until lightly browned on top and just set.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm or at room temperature, cut into wedges.
Tip: Replace the Cheddar cheese with creamy blue cheese for a different flavour.