A tasty recipe that’s pure Caribbean sunshine.
- 12 skinless chicken drumsticks
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp jerk seasoning
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 Scotch Bonnet chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lime wedges, to serve
For the slaw:
- 200g roasted red peppers in brine from a jar, drained and roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 200g each mango and pineapple flesh, cut into bite-size cubes
- 1 tsp jerk seasoning
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- A small handful of fresh fl at-leaf parsley, finely chopped, to garnish
- Put the chicken drumsticks, vinegar, jerk seasoning, tomato purée, garlic, chilli and soy sauce in a food bag, season, seal and shake to mix well. Marinate in the fridge for 3-4 hours, or overnight if you can.
- Preheat your grill to medium hot. Line the grill rack with kitchen foil and lay the chicken on the rack in a single layer. Grill for 8-10 minutes on each side, or until cooked through, brushing with any remaining marinade after the first 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for the slaw, put the roasted red peppers, carrot, red onion, mango and pineapple in a bowl. Add the jerk seasoning and lime zest and juice, season and toss well to combine.
- Divide the slaw between plates and garnish with parsley. Top with the chicken and serve with lime wedges for squeezing over.