By making a few simple changes you can still indulge in your favourite creamy pasta dishes like macaroni cheese.
- 300g dried macaroni
- Low calorie cooking spray
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 roasted red pepper in brine from a jar, finely chopped
- 1 courgette, coarsely grated
- 400ml vegetable stock
- 4 tbsp tomato purée
- 200g low-fat natural cottage cheese
- 1 tsp English mustard powder mixed with 1 tsp water
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 160g reduced-fat vegetarian cheddar, coarsely grated
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A salad of mixed leaves and thinly sliced yellow peppers, to serve
- Preheat your over to 200°C/180°C Fan/Gas 6. Cook the macaroni according to the packet instructions, then drain well and tip into a wide mixing bowl.
- Meanwhile, place a large frying pan sprayed with low cooking spray over a high heat. Add the onion, garlic, red pepper and courgette, and cook, stirring for 2-3 minutes. Add to the macaroni.
- Put the stock, tomato purée, cottage cheese, mustard and eggs in a jug and whisk until smooth. Pour this over the macaroni mixture, then stir in three-quarters of the Cheddar. Season and toss well.
- Transfer to a shallow, ovenproof dish. Sprinkle over the remaining Cheddar and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until bubbling and golden. Allow to rest for 5 minutes, then serve with the salad.
Tip: Any combination of vegetables works well - experiment with your favourites.