Beef and pork meatballs with penne and whole baby plum tomatoes in a spicy tomato sauce.
- 400g dried penne pasta (or other short pasta shapes)
- For the meatballs:
- 250g lean beef mince (5% fat or less)
- 250g lean pork mince (5% fat or less)
- Half an onion, finely chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, grated
- Half a teaspoon dried sage
- Half a teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Low calorie cooking spray
- For the sauce:
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 heaped tsp dried oregano
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh basil
- Half a red chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 120g baby plum tomatoes, halved
- 100g baby leaf spinach
- First make the meatballs. Mix together the mince, onion, garlic, sage, paprika and seasoning with your hands. Form the mixture into 24 equal-sized balls.
- Spray a large non-stick frying pan with low calorie cooking spray and place over a high heat. Working in batches, fry the meatballs until browned and set aside (don't worry if they're not cooked through at this stage).
- To make the sauce, spray the frying pan with a little more low calorie cooking spray, turn the heat to medium and fry the onion for 10 minutes, adding a little water if it starts to stick.
- Stir in the remaining sauce ingredients (except the tomatoes and spinach), add 350ml of boiling water and bring to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the pack instructions.
- Add the meatballs to the sauce and cook for 5 minutes, then add the tomatoes and cook for a further 5 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through and piping hot.
- Add the spinach and cook for 2 minutes or until the spinach has wilted.
- Drain the pasta and mix through the meatballs and sauce, checking the seasoning before serving.
Sign up for your free 7 day eating plan & email newsletter
You'll discover 100's more recipes in group!
Join by the 3rd November and get HALF PRICE membership! That’s only £5.00 to join and £4.95 weekly – a total of just £9.95 to pay on your first night - a fabulous saving of £5! After that, bring a new member and get a week free.
AND if you join with a 12-week Countdown course you’ll also get two free weeks (out of 12) and a FREE copy of our One for all cookbook, saving an extra £14.85!
Visit www.slimmingworld.co.uk/near-me to find your nearest group.