Whip up this family favourite ahead of time, then kick back and chill!
- 8 tbsp artificial sweetener
- 400g ready-made, low-fat custard
- 3 x 125g pots Danone Activia 0% fat Vanilla yogurt
- 1-2 tsp peppermint extract
- A few drops of green food colouring
- 2 medium egg whites*
- 50g dark chocolate chips
- Put the sweetener, custard, yogurt, peppermint extract and food colouring in a bowl and mix well. In a separate bowl, lightly beat the egg whites until frothy.
- Add the egg whites to the custard mixture and stir well. Pour into a shallow, freezerproof container, cover and put in the freezer for 2-3 hours.
- Remove from the freezer and blend in a food processor until smooth. Stir in the chocolate chips, then return the ice cream to the container, cover and freeze for 1-2 hours, or until starting to set around the edges.
- Remove from the freezer and use a fork to beat and break up the ice crystals. Freeze for a further 3-4 hours, beating with a fork every 30-40 minutes, until firm enough to scoop.
- Take the ice cream out of the freezer for 10-12 minutes before serving, and scoop into 6 bowls or small ice-cream pots.
Tip: *Pregnant women, the elderly, babies and toddlers are advised to choose eggs showing the British Lion stamp if eating raw or partially cooked eggs.