There’s an authentic Italian flavour to this mouth-watering dish and shaping the balls with your hands is fun.
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 500g lean beef mince (5% fat or less)
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp sweetener
- 400g passata with basil
- 150ml hot vegetable stock
- 2 medium courgettes, trimmed and cut into chunks
- 1 medium aubergine, trimmed and cut into chunks
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6.
- Put half the chopped onions in a bowl with the beef, oregano, garlic and some seasoning, then mix well and divide into 20 portions. Roll each portion into a ball and chill until ready to use.
- Mix together all the remaining ingredients in a large roasting tin and season well. Cover the dish with foil and bake in the oven for 50 minutes. Stir in the meatballs and bake for a further 40 minutes.
Tip: You could make the meatballs using extra-lean turkey mince instead of beef.