Italian ricotta cheese is light, creamy and tastes sensational paired with spinach and nutmeg on a pizza.
For the dough
- 125g strong bread flour
- 1 sachet instant active yeast
- 1 tsp salt
For the topping
- large handful of baby spinach leaves
- a little grated nutmeg
- 120g ricotta
- a pinch of dried red chilli flakes
For the sauce
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 4 tbsp tomato puree
- small handful of finely chopped fresh basil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Put the flour into a large bowl and stir in the yeast and salt. Make a well in the middle, pour in 75ml of warm water and mix with a wooden spoon until you have soft, fairly wet dough. Dust a surface very lightly with flour (1 level teaspoon is 1 Syn), turn out the dough and knead for 5 minutes until smooth. Cover with a tea towel until you're ready to roll. (You don't need to let the dough rise if you're making a thin crust.)
- On a very lightly floured surface, use a rolling pin to roll out the dough into your chosen shape of pizza.
- Slide your pizza base onto a preheated pizza stone or baking sheet (line the baking sheet with parchment before you add the pizza).
- Put the shallots, garlic, oregano, chopped tomatoes, tomato puree and most of the basil into a saucepan. Cook over a medium-low heat for 20-25 minutes, until you have a thick , spreadable sauce. Season well, scatter over a little more chopped basil and spread over your pizza base.
- Scatter the spinach leaves over the pizza and grate a little nutmeg over them. Spoon a dollop of ricotta on top and sprinkle chilli flakes over the ricotta.
- Season well and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the base is golden.