This classic pasta dish is traditionally high in Syns – our lightened-up version swaps cream for fat-free fromage frais without swapping any of the flavour!
- 400g dried spaghetti
- 6 back bacon rashers, visible fat removed (or Quorn bacon-style pieces – see tip)
- 4 eggs
- 4 tbsp fat-free natural fromage frais
- 2 level tbsp grated fresh Parmesan
- Small handful of fresh chives, snipped
- Cook the spaghetti according to the packet instructions. Drain well and return to the saucepan.
- Meanwhile, heat a large non-stick frying pan over a high heat. Add the bacon and dry-fry for 2-3 minutes, then turn off the heat.
- Lightly beat the eggs, season to taste and stir in the fromage frais, 1 level tbsp Parmesan and most of the chives.
- Add the bacon to the drained spaghetti and mix well over a low heat, then remove from the heat and stir in the egg mixture. Toss thoroughly so that the eggs thicken in the residual heat, making a sauce that coats the pasta.
- Scatter over the remaining Parmesan and chives and serve hot.
Tip: To make a vegetarian carbonara, swap the bacon for Free chilled Quorn rashers and the Parmesan for a vegetarian alternative.