Video: Spiced burger with red pepper relish
Burgers go gourmet with a kick of chilli and a salsa-style topping
- 700g lean beef mince (5% fat or less)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- A small handful of fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1 egg yolk
- Low-calorie cooking spray
- 4 x 60g wholemeal rolls, halved
For the relish:
- 200g roasted red peppers in brine, from a jar, drained and finely chopped
- ½ small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp small capers, rinsed
- A small handful of fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 5 tbsp fat-free vinaigrette
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Put all the relish ingredients in a bowl, season and mix well. Cover and leave to stand while you make the burgers.
- Put the mince, onion, garlic, chilli, paprika, cumin in a large bowl. Season and mix well. Cover and chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Preheat your barbecue to hot. Using wet hands, shape the beef mixture into 4 large burgers. Spray both sides of the burgers with low-calorie cooking spray, then barbecue for 3-4 minutes each side, or until well browned and cooked to your liking.
- Barbecue the rolls until warm and top with your burger.
Tip: Make and freeze these tasty burgers so you’ll have them ready for the
next sunny-day barbecue.