Tuna, pasta and pesto salad
Packed lunch or summer supper, this tasty salad has all the wonderfully fresh flavours of pesto with just a fraction of the Syns.
- 225g dried seashell pasta shapes or any short-shaped pasta
- 150g French beans, trimmed
- 1 cucumber, cut into 1.5cm dice
- 100g cherry tomatoes, halved and quartered
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 6 large gherkins, chopped
- 2 tbsp capers, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp finely grated lemon zest
- 100g bottled roasted red peppers in brine, drained and roughly chopped
- 2 small cans tuna steak in spring water, drained and flaked
for the pesto
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 50g fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 4 level tbsp grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 100g fat free natural fromage frais
- 100ml vegetable stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions, adding the French beans for the last 4 minutes of cooking time. Drain and rinse under cool running water. Drain again and set aside.
- Meanwhile make the pesto by placing all the pesto ingredients in a food processor. Blend until well mixed and fairly smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula and blend again briefly. Transfer to a bowl and season well.
- Place the cooked pasta and beans in a wide salad bowl and spoon over the pesto. Add all the remaining ingredients and toss to mix well. Check the seasoning and serve immediately.
Tip: A level tablespoon of shop-brought green pesto is 3½ Syns so the Syns can really add up when cooking with it. At just 1½ Syns this is a great low Syn alternative.
You'll discover 100's more recipes in group!
Pay weekly and get HALF PRICE membership! That’s only £5 to join and £4.95 weekly – a total of just £9.95 to pay on your first night - a fabulous saving of £5! After that, bring a new member along and get a week free!
If you join with a 12-week Countdown course you’ll also get two free weeks (out of 12) and a FREE copy of our Eat More for Less cookbook, saving an extra £14.85!
Visit www.slimmingworld.co.uk/near-me to find your nearest group.
You'll find more delicious recipe and menu ideas at your local group, along with all the help you need to get started and reach your target weight.